Sunday, November 1, 2015

Tried "Hello Fresh" - fresh ingredients delivery service

Hello Fresh try-out

 
Have you ever heard "#Hello Fresh"? They deliver fresh ingredients and healthy recipes to our door every week so that you can cook meal. I've seen the ad a lot lately. I thought maybe some of you might were thinking, "Should I?", so I was willing to be your guinea pig : )

I got $40 off coupon from #Fitbit subscription, so I decided to try this out. The regular price for 3 meals/week for 2 people is $69.00 includes shipping. I got $10/meal for 2 people with coupon. They have meals for 4 people as well.

First you choose Classic Food Box or Veggie Box, Veggie Box is $59.00. Then you can choose your 3 meals out of 5. I chose Spiced Turkey Meatball with Parsnip Mash and Roasted Carrots, Northern Thai Style Galaam Oop with Beef, Simmered Cabbage, and Turmeric and Pretzel Bun Bratwursts with Tangy Apple-Cabbage Slaw.

The box came following Tuesday (you can choose the date). The box had 4 ice packs and all the meat packages were half frozen. Looked good!


DAY 1: Spiced Turkey Meatball with Parsnip Mash and Roasted Carrots


Vegitable was fresh, seasoning packets were convenient and garlic was peeled. I noticed there are 4 carrots and made me think, too many carrots.... (I'm not a big fan of carrots). The recipe was easy to follow and almost no measurement, nothing was left after cooking, just a half packet of Cayenne Pepper. It was supposed to be done in 40 minutes, but it took over an hour.


Looks good? Tasted OK. Really, just OK, nothing else I could say. And there were too much carrots. I am sure everybody has their own preference of taste, so probably safe to say, it was OK. Would we want to eat this again? No.

DAY 2: Northern Thai Style Galaam Oop with Beef, Simmered Cabbage



Cabbage was pre-shredded, so not much cutting. The beef's quality was good. Again recipe was easy, it should have been done in 30, but it took 45. Was I a slow cooker? I don't think so. I used the leftover Cayenne Pepper from last night and saved a packet of another Cayenne Pepper.
Hmmmm.
Our taste buds said, "Hmmmm..." The seasoning was only Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Salt and Pepper. It was better than last night, but still, we were not happy.  And I know it was NOT my cooking skill or anything. Actually, my husband ate leftover Pizza after this.

DAY 3: Pretzel Bun Bratwursts with Tangy Apple-Cabbage Slaw


Since Michael did not have much expectation any more, I was like, "Just get this over with" mode. But I had a little hope in German Bratwursts and Pretzel buns. This time, it was the easiest to make and I was right on 30 minutes mark. Big Bratwursts took a little longer to cook.


Michael: "Today is the last day, right? I'll eat popcorn at the movie theater later anyway." 

He ate Apple-Cabbage Slaw and said "I am really glad today was the last night. But it's good to try new stuff and I don't mind." And I agreed. I would not even want to pay $10 for these.

In my opinion, I would not subscribe this for $69.00. Yes, it is convenient and easy to make. But it did not meet our taste preference. I am Japanese and Michael is German-American Japanese, so maybe that is the reason why these meals did not go well with us. You might like this, though. But I would not want to pay full price to try. You can find 3-meal free discount code online, if you want to give a shot.

There are many companies to provide the same kind of service. If there is another chance to try others, I am happy to! That way, I can let other people know how it is before they try it. 

I hope this helps you. I will go back to my ordinary cooking tomorrow and Michael is looking forward to it. It's a good thing!




No comments:

Post a Comment